A Well Woman visit is an annual physical to monitor your reproductive health. It’s essential for identifying serious health concerns before they become life threatening. Many health concerns affecting the female reproductive organs do not present noticeable symptoms until there is a serious heath concern.
Annual Well Woman check-ups lower your risk of serious health conditions
Regular health exams and screenings help find and issues before they become a problem. They can help to protect you from:
- Uterine Fibroids
- Gynecologic Cancer
- Interstitial Cystitis
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Common exams during a Well Woman check-up
Well Woman check-ups are tailored to your age, family history, personal health history and need for preventive screenings. Depending on your medical history, your doctor may also check your blood pressure, height, weight and temperature in addition to these common procedures:
- Clinical breast exam – Your gynecologist will feel your breast tissue and check for lumps or other abnormalities.
- Pelvic exam – During this exam your doctor will check your ovaries to screen for ovarian cancer.
- Mammogram – All women over the age of 40 are screened for breast disease and cancer.
- Pap smear –Your cervix will be swabbed to test for signs of cervical cancer. Your doctor will also help you navigate the current guidelines for screenings that are best for you.
During a Well Woman check-up, your doctor will also screen for health problems unique to women. These screenings may include prenatal care, bone-mass measurements for osteoporosis; plus “gender-neutral” screenings and services. Men and women may benefit from regular health screenings for things like colon cancer, obesity, and shots to prevent flu, tetanus, and pneumonia.
A woman’s needs are specific and unique and you deserve exceptional attention and individualized, state-of-the-art obstetric and gynecologic care for every stage of your life. If you’re looking for compassionate well woman care in Gillette, WY, contact Summit OB/GYN today by calling 307-682-6263. We provide advanced, comprehensive testing to evaluate your healthcare and lifestyle needs.